Thursday, August 6, 2009

Catch up time!

Sorry about not being able sent up dates more often! No electricity there let alone computers! I will do my best to fill in what all happened this last week.

We arrived into Sololo by a twelve passenger plane on a dirt runway. We did a pass over the runway before landing to scare the goats, cows and camels off it before making the real touch down. Once we had landed, it seems that the whole town was there to greet us! A huge crowd was surrounding us, Eyes staring, hardly a sound. It was difficult to know what to do. So between unloading our things for the plane and waiting for our ride we shook hands with some of the kids and smiled at the others. We finally got into the Land Curser and headed to out new home for the week...The Ramata Hotel! It was fairly nice. Kathryn, Carlee and I shares a room of three saggy cots with blue misquote nets above them. The "shower" was a little stale with a door and a bucket to put water in. the water ran out under the door to the sloped concrete outside and disappeared into a whole into the ground. The toilet situation was a pit latrine, a hole in the ground that liked to house cockroaches :( It had a nice little quart yard that was where we had bible studies every morning, talked with our group on how our day went (debriefing) and played many games of Uno with our FH staff driver, Anatoni and the hotel manager, Adan.

We went to see the school the same day we arrived for a couple hours. When we pulled up to the school yard, the children were waiting for us by the gate, all 176 of them and they were clapping there hands and chattering with excitement! It gave me goose bumps to see and here how excited they were for us to come!

We took a tour of the school grounds, There are four class rooms so far consisting of grades 1,2,3,and 4! They are hoping to continue to grow and add all the grades in time! They have two water tanks for the school only (the community has had to walk to Ethiopia for there water because it is in the dry season and their supply is gone). The water tanks will have enough water in it for another two or three weeks and then the children will have to bring their own. There is a tiny building that the four teaches and two volunteers use as their office and a tiny tiny cook house where lunch is served. There is a building in the far back part of the school yard that will soon be the new kitchen when it is finished. And last but important four Latrines, one for the boys, one for the girls, and one for the staff.

In the mornings when it was cooler weather (though we were blessed with mostly cloudily days:)) we worked on the fence that surrounded the school yard. It had the post and the three strands of wire up already. We then planted this type of plant the grows fast and thick (weaving it in and out of the wire) so that it with be added protection to the school, keeping animals out! We got 2/3 of it done of them so now they only have on side to do!

We also taught the children a song. Singing about praising God and appreciating Jesus! The children in return taught us some songs...waqi wandansa (our God is good) and Yayu eedhe yeso ordofoa (I have decided to follow Jesus). Kathryn did out hygiene presentation and taught the children about worms, the importance of hand washing and feet washing, etc.

Our team also worked on helping expand their garden. In a few years they should have mango trees and a good size veggie garden if it goes well. We learned a lot from these dear people and I think they may have learned some form us! A successful trip.

One thing that is so awesome to me is that these people work incredibly hard, walking 6miles to get water, hardly have enough to eat... but they are so happy and have so much joy and hope! I really appreciate that form them!

We brought a couple soccer balls (footballs!), jump ropes and Frisbees! It was fun playing with the kids and watching them! They were all over that compound with the footballs! I hope they learn to set teams and some rules! The boy really enjoyed the game!

I got to meet Buke (booka) my sponsor child! The first time I met her she was incredible shy. She hardly looked at my when I shook her hand and then disappeared at first opportunity. I got to visit her at her home (hut) and meet her family. Though she was still super shy she was warming up slowly. Buke is the oldest child. She had two younger brothers and a four month old baby sister and is smiley and cuter then ever!

Buke liked the gifts I gave her. She brought the ball to school the next day and she was using her hair pretties! She ended up warming up enough to hang out with me by the end. Before we left on our last day she told me that she didn't want me to leave. The melted my heart! I didn't want to leave either.

I miss the children already. Their smiles and singing! They are so sweet and amazing!

I want to mention about our food! We and Mandazi (like sopia's) and chapati (torttila like things) for breakfast- every morning! A couple times we had hard boiled eggs! we got excited about that! Lunch and Dinner were always the same...Rice, noodles, goat meat and live, kale, this potato soup stuff, and ugali (like cream of wheat only in super stiff form)! So after a week of that Kathryn and I were excited to have peanut butter and jelly!

Our team went to Nairobi on Tuesday. It was a weird feeling watching them take off inthe plane with out us. Totally left behind in the middle of no where! We did fine. Antony Drove us to Marsabit and did excellent with the horrible roads. So we now are here in Marsabit at the FH guest house. We’re super excited about flushing toilets and an actual shower! Such luxury! We are cooking for ourselves now to with what we could find at the market. Last night we had a form of French toast and mashed potatoes. Tonight we had chapati with advacatoes, tomatoes, beans, and fried potatoes. Nice to have different flavors!

Here in Marsabit we are interviewing people who have graduated form the child sponsorship program. Has been nice to meet these people and see what they are doing with their live and for their community. Good to see that it does make a difference!

it was nice this morning to have a bible study with some of the FH staff! A nice way to start the day!

Well I have wrote enough for now!

I wish I could up load some photos- but this computer isn't equipt. When I get back!

4 comments:

  1. wow, sad to have to leave little Buke behind, safe to say you have left a piece of your heart there. Thanks for the post and emails shared by your mom. It is great to hear a bit of your days.
    Love, Bessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear a little about your trip, know you have a lot more to share! So sweet to hear about Buke! Continue to enjoy your stay!!! Hugs, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Steph! My heart ached as I read your posting- it all sounds so amazing! What a priviledge! I can see why your heart is with the children; it makes sense why God loves children so much too! Sounds like you, along with FH, are making quite an impact; that's wonderful. And quite evident the impact this experience has had on you too! :0) Can't wait to hear more and see the pics! Big hug! Love ya! BB :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! This trip was meant to be!
    Love, Shunshine

    ReplyDelete