I have been working on getting everything ready for this trip for several weeks now. Hard to believe that I am leaving in less then a week!
Where this all started- when I was in eighth grade, I read a book about people’s experiences in doing relief work in Africa which really interested me. My friend Kathryn from Colorado got involved with Food for the Hungry a couple years ago and has told me about her stories with being involved in Kenya. At the beginning of this year she was telling me about a 12 year old girl who needed a sponsor so that she could go to school. With a lot of thought and prayer I decided to be her sponsorer. This will hopefully keep her from marriage at such a young age and to be help her to be able to make a difference in her own life as well and her community. She wrote to me and told me that she really likes school and she seems to be learning quickly! I’m excited to meet her and her family!
What we will be doing there- a few things. Kathryn and I will be working together on putting a little presentation for the kids on good hygiene/health. We also are going to administer de-worming medicine/education for those who it is appropriate. Some of the rest of the group will be helping with creating a garden/nursery for the school while others will be teaching bible school. I am excited to get to meet/know the others on the team. I only know three on the team, Kathryn, her sister Crissy and her husband John.
I have gotten all my immunization shots as well as the meds I will be taking there. I visited my doctor as well. She is sending me with some antibiotics for ‘just in case.’ This week I will be trying to figure out exactly what I need to take and seeing if I can get it to fit into two carry on size suit cases! I think the trickiest part is to know what to pack in which bag as the bag I’m going to check will probably not be arriving right away. So need to make sure it’s not anything I’ll need right away. Kathryn gave me a list of things to pack, it helps a lot because it is hard to know what to bring. It’s not like if I forget something that I can just go to a store there and pick it up!
I think one for the biggest thing on my mind is that I want to have the attitude of a student and not a teacher. I want to learn as much as I can and make sure that I have the right spirit. I think that these people have a much greater faith in God then I do at most times. A lady I met in Yuma told me that in Africa it doesn’t matter if you’re a part of a religion- it not a question of IF you talk to God, it's how often!
I can say that I'm not afraid at all. Many people think I'm crazy for going there but I am one hundred percent excited! I have been looking forward to this oppertunity for a long time!
I am hoping to send updates and photos often. Not to sure how often it will be out in the brush! Excited to share how it goes with you all!
If you are intrested- you can check out Food for the Hungry's web sit- www.fh.org
John Conway is our group leader. There is an artical about him and Karbururi, the villiage we are going to. It is called 'From Eagle Scout to Church Advocate.'
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stephie,
ReplyDeleteI am soooooo.......excited for you and know that you will make a difference to their lives. I have a girl here that would dearly love to go with. From what I understand you will come home and see things so diferently......we are a very spoiled/lucky nation. Please be safe.
Love,
Bessie
It was neat to read your blog and I can't wait to hear more as time permits! I'm so excited for you; the dream you've had since 8th grade is actually coming true!
ReplyDeleteI love what you said about going with an attitude of a 'student' rather than a 'teacher'; I'm sure your experience will be all the richer for it!
Be safe and truly LIVE it, soak it all in girl!
Love ya!
BB :0)